Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Your Weekly Rush

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with Rush as much lately. But yesterday he said something really interesting. "This is no criticism of the working poor, by the way. I'm probably the strongest voice of support they have." Great! Well let's go down how Rush expresses this support, but before we do, let me make one thing perfectly clear. Although the temptation is great, I will not be using the phrase "With friends like these . . ." or any variation on it. Its a temptation, but I will stay strong.

Here is what Rush wants to do for the working poor.

- Make them pay more taxes by eliminating the Earned Income Credit, and by repealing the recent child credit.

- Allow corporations to pay them less and to provide fewer benefits. Eliminating the minimum wage.

- Ensure that the working poor always receive minimal service from the American health care service.

- Eliminate the unemployment safety net. If a member of the working poor loses his or her job, he or she can go hungry until he or she finds work again. He's fond of saying, "When you are out of work, you have a job; to find another job."

And so on and so forth. With Friends like . . .. wait, I must resist. I'll think of some other phrase. A stitch in time saves nine. There, that's good.

No comments: