Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Fear of Lawyers

Dennis Prager is afraid of Lawyers. "I have come to fear almost everything having to do with law. Though there are many fine people in the legal profession, and though law is necessary to protect society from descending into chaos, I now fear the legal profession more than I do Islamic terror. I am far from alone. I believe that more Americans rightly fear being ruined by the American legal system more than being killed by a terrorist."

He runs down the standard complaints. Lawyers can sue anybody, and are always encouraging people to sue. Judges like to legislate from the bench. Jurors are too dumb to really bring out justice.

However, like those who spend volumes attacking Islam, he proposes no solution. I suppose that's because we've already got several. The main one, proposed by dozens of conservatives is Tort "Reform" in order to deny American Citizens their rights to compensation under the law. We would just defang the lawyers abilities to hurt corporations, while maintaining their ability to enforce corporate power over individuals. In that way, Mr. Prager, at least, need have no further fear of lawyers.

No comments: