Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Confusion

I have to admit to being a bit confused in my reaction to Mona Charen's latest article.

On the one hand she says things I agree with, and that are, by inference, very critical of the Bush Administration. She rights about the overly incestuous relationship we have had with Saudi Arabia. No person better exemplifies that relationship than President Bush, who seems unlikely to ever hold Saudi Arabia to task.

On the other hand her article is filled with the "Islamic Menace" rhetoric that drives me up a wall. In particular she points to the African American Islamic community as something fearful. And, parenthetically, her article begins with the standard, "I know what really happened to Ms. Clinton better than she does, even if I haven't read the book."

The problem is that some conservatives seem unable to understand that one can support actions against Islamic Terrorists without wanting to condemn Islam.

No comments: