Saturday, June 21, 2003

Your Weekly Rush : An Acceptable Bigotry

Reading Rush Limbaughs comments on Senator Kerry's call to oppose judges who will overturn Roe vs. Wade, and noticed this key phrase.

The French-looking, French-speaking Vietnam veteran, said, "I am prepared to filibuster, if necessary, any Supreme Court nominee who would turn back the clock on a woman's right to choose or the Constitution right to privacy on civil rights to individual liberties and the laws protecting workers and the environment."

Initially his choice to emphasize Senator Kerry's Frenchness bugged me, but the more I think about it, the more OK I am with it. There's nothing wrong in America with hating someone because of how he looks or because he speaks a certain language.

Just a quick reminder--I speak French, and half of my birth parent parentage is French. So if some of you were wondering why you hated me, well that's why.

No comments: