Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Iraq

Thomas L. Friedman has an interesting article today at the New York Times. I'm not sure I follow his logic completely, but he ends with a paragraph and a sentiment that every American, particularly those in the White House, the Pentagon and the State Department, needs to understand.

But my ultimate point is this: Finding Iraq's W.M.D.'s is necessary to preserve the credibility of the Bush team, the neocons, Tony Blair and the C.I.A. But rebuilding Iraq is necessary to win the war. I won't feel one whit more secure if we find Saddam's W.M.D.'s, because I never felt he would use them on us. But I will feel terribly insecure if we fail to put Iraq onto a progressive path. Because if that doesn't happen, the terrorism bubble will reinflate and bad things will follow. Mr. Bush's credibility rides on finding W.M.D.'s, but America's future, and the future of the Mideast, rides on our building a different Iraq. We must not forget that.

Remember that.

No comments: