Tuesday, June 10, 2003

On Boycotts

I've been having a debate with myself since yesterday, on this Savage controversy. Michaelsavagesucks.com is, among other things, a boycott site. It lists at the top of its website various products that advertise on the Michael Savage Show and encourages you not to buy them. In other words, they are trying to get Michael Savage knocked off the air, by pressuring his sponsors to drop him. While the methods are different (and, for the record, suing those you disagree with is a lot more sleazy in my book) the end result is the same. The Coalition for Human Decency (who run Michaelsavagesucks.com) doesn't like what Michael Savage says so they are trying to silence him.

Similarly they are also trying an end run strategy. They apparently believe that attempts to convince Savage's listeners of the wrongfulness of his arguments would not work. Organizing a boycott of the show would have little effect. So they are going for the weak link so to speak. Advertisers do not like associating their products with controversy of any kind and so will fold much more quickly than the public might.

I e-mailed my thoughts to the Coalition for Human Decency, and received a very condescending letter. I e-mailed back for clarification, and received an even more condescending letter. I gather that I'm just wrong headed for questioning the tactics of the Coalition for Human Decency. Find it interesting that in with an opportunity to convince someone of the rightness of their cause, they basically didn't bother. This is pretty common among the true believers, I've noticed though.

Anyway to sum up, Make me a Commentator!!! reserve's its strongest condemnation for Michael Savage, who is using his wealth to silence his critics. But we feel compelled to point out that some of his victims are not entirely clean on the issue of free speech, either.

No comments: