Thursday, June 26, 2003

Brandy Speaks her Mind

This morning I posted a story linking to a video on the Memory Hole, and both my commentary and moreso the commentary at the Memory Hole was very harsh against President Bush. No need to take my word for it, just look at the story.

Brandy wrote me a letter this afternoon, responding to my article in her inimitable voice, saying, "Are you kidding me!!!! Are you and 'memory hole' actually spending any amount of time or thought process on this...I have many issues with Pres. Bush, but he handled 9/11 the best one could ask for...What exactly would you guys have had him do...The five minutes he sat there he showed that he was not going to let this unravel him, that we maintained a leader that could demonstrate strength, thoughtfulness and an unrash demeanor...Not only in those five minutes, but also in the days to follow...I seriously would love to hear the complainers say what 'they' would have done in this position....Run out and hid like a coward? Run out and unnecessarily show fear, or frighten those around him...Remember NO ONE knew what was going on...Rashness would have been unforgivable."

Brandy does bring up some fair points--but more to the point, it is possible that we here (and by we I mean me) at Make me a Commentator did jump a little rashly this morning. While we respect the work that The Memory Hole is doing, their commentary was perhaps a little too patently biased against President Bush. While I think there are lots of reasons to dislike President Bush, including his handling of the economy and his belligerent foreign policy stance, it is hard to know what would have been worse. If he had left the room immediately, perhaps we would be looking at footage of that today, with the question, "See how cowardly he was?"

The truth is September 11th was gut punch to America and to all Americans, and it is perhaps not out of line to be generous towards the President's actions on that day. So we apologize for our attacks this morning.

Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.

No comments: