Sunday, June 01, 2003

Jim Carrey and America Redux

Before getting to the rest of the story, let me just take a minute and mention how much I love the word redux.

Well, you might remember earlier this week, an article by Ben Shapiro praising America's decision to go see the latest Jim Carrey movie Bruce Almighty. He said that it showed our happy upbeat personality. Well, Rich Tucker of the Heritage foundation disagrees.

"Consider the new Jim Carrey movie, “Bruce Almighty.” In a film that’s supposed to be a comedy, “God” gives his powers to Carrey’s character, a failed reporter. “God” then steps out, allowing Carrey to wreak havoc on earth.

Imagine, the very idea of an omnipotent God going on vacation. Of God allowing his power to be used by a human for vengeful purposes. Only in Hollywood would that be considered funny. For most of us, it’s merely insulting.
"

Tucker's main point is that there should be majority rule. Since obviously the majority of Americans would find Bruce Almighty insulting, I'm sure it must have largely bombed at the box office. Let's check.

Well it was the number one box office draw over memorial weekend, pulling in $85.7 Million. I guess some people must have thought it was all right.

But what's even more interesting is how he opens his article. "Our country was supposed to be based on a simple principle: Majority rules."

Majority Rules.

Like many of you I thought that this nation was founded on the principle of freedom. But I guess I was mistaken. We are instead founded on the principle of majority rules. Which means that we Democrats should just roll over and die, as the majority is clearly republican (Rush has assured me of this).

But then again, I kind of think I like the idea of our country being founded on freedom better.

No comments: