Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Candidate Review - Illegal Immigration - Barack Obama

Well Obama doesn't make the same mistake Kucinich does - rather, he has a page on what he wants to do on Illegal Immigration. Looks very detailed. I supposed I'd better read it.

I know this sounds dismissive of Obama - I think he's a really good candidate with a lot of good ideas. But I spent the day reading these candidates positions and I'm tired and he's the last one (which is why I try to rotate around so I'm not always ending on the same person).

Anyway Obama seems to have a lot of the right ideas. He wants to strengthen border security while being compassionate to those who are already here. He doesn't want to break up families, but he does want to crack down on businesses that employ illegals. The quote at the top is a good summary.
"In approaching immigration reform, I believe that we must enact tough, practical reforms. . . . We need stronger enforcement on the border and at the workplace. . . . But for reform to work, we also must respond to what pulls people to America. . . . Where we can reunite families, we should. Where we can bring in more foreign-born workers with the skills our economy needs, we should. . . . The time to fix our broken immigration system is now. It is critical that as we embark on this enormous venture to update our immigration system, it is fully reflective of the powerful tradition of immigration in this country and fully reflective of our values and ideals."
This makes a lot of sense. And I think Obama is about as solid on this issue as anybody.

No comments: