Monday, December 17, 2007

Candidate Review - Illegal Immigration - Fred Thompson

I know I should have done this Friday - the Holidays are keeping me busier than I like. But fortunately I should be able to send out my packages tomorrow and then all will be good.

Anyway here we go on Fred Thompson and Immigration.
The United States is a nation of immigrants. Throughout our history, legal immigrants have brought energy, ideas, strength, and diversity to our country, our economy, and our culture. This must continue. But in the post-9/11 world, immigration is more of a national security issue. A government that cannot secure its borders and determine who may enter and who may not, abrogates a fundamental responsibility. I am committed to:

* Securing our borders and enforcing immigration laws. Amnesty is not an option and the toleration of “sanctuary cities” must end.
* Reviewing our immigration laws and policies to ensure they advance our national interests.
* Uniting Americans by welcoming legal immigrants willing to learn English, assimilate into our communities, and become productive citizens.
Pretty bog standard - although he is willing to throw the sop to legal immigrants, unlike some of his candidates.

Fred Thompson has turned out to be a lot duller than anybody anticipated.

No comments: