Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Is Glenn Beck Racist?

I've been thinking about this in relation to Glenn Beck's new show on CNN, and the compilation of quotes Media Matters has gathered that certainly portray Mr. Beck in a negative light. And there certainly are some stinkers in there, particularly one he did in a "blackface" voice. And suggesting that Mexico "has been overtaken by lawbreakers from the bottom to the top."

But despite all that I'm willing to believe that Glenn Beck may not be racist. I've never met the man, and it's possible he doesn't have a racist bone in his body.

What I do know is that a significant portion of Beck's audience (and Limbaugh's audience, and almost any conservative talk show hosts audience) is racist and wants to hear validation for their point of view.

And Glenn Beck (and Rush Limbaugh and all the rest) is certainly aware of that.

Actually the most offensive thing, in my opinion, that Glenn Beck said was in regards to Michael Moore.
Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong?
I don't know about a guy who feels like someone should die simply because they express a view point you don't agree with. Of course I'm sure Beck's supporters will explain that he was only joking. If so, than permit me to note there must be something wrong with my sense of humor because I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Law Prof said...

If Beck called Obama a "typical black person", would that be racist?

Bryant said...

It's hard to imagine a context in which that wouldn't be racist, but it's possible it would exist.

Of course this is in reference to the comment by President Obama, which when put in context is considerably less awful than it sounds.