Thursday, February 16, 2006

Unprovoked Meanness

Just got a new CD put out by Rhino called Future Retro. The high concept behind this album is "lets get a bunch of great 80s songs and have modern DJ's remix them." It's not a bad collection.

One of the tracks is "New Song" by Howard Jones (Peter Black & hardrock Strike Mix Edit), a song I remember from back then. I had several Howard Jones albums, including Dream into Action and One To One, but was never into him the way I was into New Order or Pet Shop Boys or Depeche Mode. I do remember my sardonic response to a line from "New Song" (his first hit, although it was eclipsed by What is Love, if memory serves).
I don't wanna be hip and cool
I don't wanna play by the rules
Whenver Mr. Jones would sing that first line, I always though "Not much chance of that."

Yep I've been mean spirited since 1984.

No comments: