Thursday, February 23, 2006

For those fans of Firefly and Serenity

I am a fan of the website Television Without Pity, as some of you know. To be more specific, I am a fan of some of the writers there. For those who don't know they specialize in providing snarky recaps of television episodes).

Basically there are two types of good recaps, the funny ones about shows I don't care much about (see The Apprentice and Boston Public) or there are smart recaps about shows I do care about (see Battlestar Galactaca). Smart Recaps make you think a bit more about what you are watching, bringing elements of the show into sharper focus.

Jacob (who also does recaps on Battlestar Galactaca) has done a recap for Serenity the movie, and it is definitely in the Smart category. He pulls in a lot of stuff that one senses pretty intuitively and makes it plain. If you are a fan of the movie, I strongly encourage you to check this recap out. I had a hard time enjoying their recaps of the series (largely, I think, because I knew the ending which was that the show hadn't survived. Which made their snarky comments a bit like kicking a dead horse, however funny they were without knowing the end).

Anyway it's very well worth reading and it will tug on the old heart strings if you enjoyed the movie.

No comments: