Thursday, October 25, 2007

Candidate Review - Abortion - Mike Huckabee

I missed up a chance to riff on "I Heart Huckabees" a few days ago, but I'm sure the opportunity will arise again. Frankly I think Huckabees star is on the rise, which is nice for him but probably not so great for the rest of us.

His website seems clean and reasonably stylish. His issues page has Faith as issue number one and Sanctity of Life (which means Abortion) as number two.
I support and have always supported passage of a constitutional amendment to protect the right to life. My convictions regarding the sanctity of life have always been clear and consistent, without equivocation or wavering. I believe that Roe v. Wade should be over-turned.

. . . I first became politically active because of abortion, when I helped pass Arkansas' Unborn Child Amendment, which requires the state to do whatever it legally can to protect life.
Presumably that without equivocation or wavering bit is intended for Mitt Romney, who's position on Abortion has been a bit wavering. Actually if I were Huckabee I'd be going after Romney, since they have some similarities. The pro-choice Guiliani and the hated McCain aren't great options for COnservatoid Christians, so who's next on the list. Well Romney, despite his lack of consistency on the only issues, is next in line. But isn't Huckabee a better fit?

Presumably Huckabee thinks so.

No comments: