Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Candidate Review - Abortion - Dennis Kucinich

Dennis Kucinich is, along with Edwards I think, one of the few that I covered the last time I did one of these. His website is very well designed, although finding his position on a Woman's Right to Choose is proving difficult. He does have a section on his gorgeous wife however, which makes her seem like a lovely person (well she probably is a lovely person).

He also wants to restore the constitution, and to that end wants to place copies of the constitution with as many people as possible. Seems like a laudable plan. Of course charging $25 for the copy (in donations to the campaign) may limit how many actually get copies.

Returning to abortion, I only find one reference at his website, in an interview he did with Paula Zahn that was reprinted at his website.
ZAHN: One last question for you, sir, before we have to quit. You talk about living the principles that animate your faith. And yet you are a practicing Catholic and your views on abortion and gay marriage -- or gay unions is in direct opposition to what your church teaches. How do you reconcile that?

KUCINICH: Well, actually, we -- as president I want to unite this country on the issue of abortion in this way. We need to do everything we can to make abortion less necessary. And we do that through pre-natal care, post-natal care, childcare, universal health care, a living wage, creating circumstances that make it less likely abortion will occur.

I think our nation can be united along that.
Doesn't seem that likely to me, but I guess to run for President you have to be a hopeful person. At any rate I've looked at five sites so far, with three to go (Edwards, Clinton, and Biden for those curious), and in the bulk of the cases finding out the candidates position on Abortion hasn't been that easy. I wonder if there will be a contrast over in Republican Country (coming Thursday).

No comments: