Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Process - The Process

Some of you might be wondering how I come up with material for this process. Well today I'm going to pull back the curtain a bit and show you what lies beneath. Or behind. I'm not really sure how that is supposed to work.

Anyway if I am up and around early enough I will take a quick gander at my computer between the time I am mostly ready for work, and the time I actually go to work. My first stop? Townhall. For those of you who aren't familiar with the site, it is run by the Conservative Heritage foundation and collects columns from Conservative Columnists everywhere. I scan the titles to see if one catches my eye, then I give it a gander. Sometimes I'll skim two or three articles. That way I can spend my time on the way to work thinking about how to respond.

If nothing catches my eye than I will pick it up again when I get to work, looking a little bit further into each article, trying to find some aspect that would make a good post. Today Townhall has presented me with 16 articles to review. 8 of these articles deal with the Terry Schavio case, about which I've said all I want to say for now. If you are interested see this and this.

As for the other eight, we have Walter E. Williams on the Minimum Wage, Terence Jeffrey and Herman Cain on Taxation, Jonah Goldberg and Janice Shaw Crouse, PhD on the difference between men and women, Diana West on Lebenon, Ben Shapiro, Boy Prognosticator, on college Republicans, and Brian McNoll on eliminating campaign finance reform.

As an aside, Miles Davis is simply incredible.

Anyway, none of these articles look any good. Ben Shapiro does note that one of the two potential heads of the college Republicans, Paul Gourly, is a pretty sleazy guy.
Gourley, as treasurer under current CRNC Chair Eric Hoplin, allegedly oversaw a series of CRNC fund-raising scandals, most notably a direct mail campaign designed to confuse and bilk senior citizens out of their money. During the 2004 election cycle, the CRNC, through its direct mail firm Response Dynamics (RDI), garnered over $6.3 million by sending misleading letters to elderly donors. The letters often included the headings "Republican Headquarters 2004," "Republican Elections Committee," and the "National Republican Campaign Fund." During the election cycle, the median age of 49 of the top 50 donors to the CRNC was 85, and 14 of the donors were older than 90.
Of course, young Ben is ignoring Ronald Reagan's eleventh commandment. "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."

The other articles are a rather tepid lot. Goldberg's article sees him writing on autopilot about how amazing it is that Men and Women are different, or to be more precise, that feminists and liberals don't Acknowledge that Men and Women are different. But to be fair there is certainly a market for telling people what they already believe.

The articles on Taxation are dull, and I'm sure we will get a lot more of them in April. So I will hold off extensive discussion until then. But if you enjoy a good bratwurst than you will enjoy my discussion. Well sort of.

Anyway tune in later for a discussion of the second part of the Process ("The Mid-Morning Post")

No comments: