Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Walter Williams on Capitalism

We might think of dollars as being "certificates of performance." The better I serve my fellow man, and the higher the value he places on that service, the more certificates of performance he gives me. The more certificates I earn, the greater my claim on the goods my fellow man produces. That's the morality of the market. In order for one to have a claim on what his fellow man produces, he must first serve him. From Townhall.com.

That is the wonder of capitalism. The problem is that it assumes that all participants in the game are roughly equal or start from roughly equal positions. In the real world they don't. Williams also doesn't seem all that interested in those that cheat in order to get ahead. He doesn't answer the question of fraud. Let's say a CEO takes an enormous salary and runs his company into the ground; far from being financially punished, such a CEO is likely to receive several nice parting gifts (in the form of a Severance package).

So while I agree that capitalism is a moral system, it still requires a certain amount of watching to make it work properly.

No comments: