Monday, April 14, 2003

A Clarification

I would like to make two clarifying points on my piece about Nazism, posted on Friday.

It has been pointed out to me that in strictly economic and organizational terms, the Nazis are closer to both the Communists and many Liberals. And I concede this point--analyzed with those strict measurements, it is undoubtedly correct to say that Nazis are closer to Liberals than Conservatives.

I don't, however, think analyzing this issue strictly on Economic and Organizational grounds works as a classifying technique, as it cuts out social and cultural issues. Social and cultural issues are often those issues that motivate a movement far more than Economic and Organizational issues. Hitler didn't come to power promising "If elected I am going to oppress the hell out of you and take complete control of the economic system." He came to power saying "Together we can create a strong unified patriotic Germany, that keeps out foreign and Marxist influences."

Secondly I'd like to clarify the purpose of this post.

There are those on the Left who apparently believe and certainly say that if President George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Bill Frist and, in general, the mainstream American Conservative Movement are given their way they will install a brutal Fascist dictatorship in the Style of Adolf Hitler.

There are those on the Right who apparently believe and certainly say that if Tom Daschele, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi and the mainstream American Liberal Movement are given their way they will install a brutal communist dictatorship in the style of Josef Stalin.

Make me a Commentator!!! forcefully condemns both lines of thinking and argument. It is the opinion of Make me a Commentator that both mainstream movements want to see a strong and productive Capitalist and Democratic America that works for all its citizens.

My original post was to correct what I felt and still feel was a historical misinterpretation. My original training was in history and this is an area of some interest to me. I did not and do not intend that this information should be used to smear the modern Conservative movement.

No comments: