Thursday, April 24, 2003

The First Amendment

I don't know if I've commented on this before, but the movie Bull Durham staring Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins was to be shown at the Baseball Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame President, Dale Petroskey, cancelled the appearance, for political reasons. He was concerned that Robbins and Sarandon would express their anti war views, and cause trouble. Strangely enough Costner's name hasn't come up much in this story.

Anyway Larry Elder, writing at Townhall, has weighed in on this issue. First of all he quotes Tim Robbins anti-war views, saying, "There's ultimately going to be a tragic loss in the amount of people dying from this horrible attack. . . . We're not getting our way there. But we have to be mature, and we have to realize that the world does not want us to do this. . . . I support free speech, and you can't have free speech . . . in a society or even in a club, if it's Hollywood, that is saying you can't talk. . . . That's not a free society. You have to allow it. Democracy's messy sometimes." Can you count the ellipses in that sentence? Makes me wonder what else Robbins said, but I suppose Elder cut it so as to get to the heart of Robbin's meaning. It's not like Elder would cut it to make Robbins look extra radical or extra dumb, would he?

Anyway getting back to Elder's main point which is this--the Baseball Hall of Fame is under no obligation to respect the First Amendment. "Hollywood's antiwar critics seem to want it both ways. They use their podium to espouse their leftist views, yet, when individuals and private organizations react negatively, they shout: "First Amendment"! No, Mr. Robbins and Ms. Sarandon, the First Amendment prohibits governmental interference with political speech. It offers no immunity from criticism, indeed, revulsion by consumers of your movies or by organizations that extend you opportunities to speak."

You see, the nation is legally obligated to respect open and free debate and discussion, but as individuals or non governmental organizations or business, we are under no such obligation. Freedom of Speech is a mere legal technicality, not an American Principle.

With that in mind I'd like to announce the formation of the Make Me a Commentator!!! Goon Squad. I've hired about 15 guys who are loud and obnoxious and annoying. Any time anybody in my community dares to say something I don't like, my goon squad will be there in moments (utilizing the latest in van technology) to start yelling and causing a ruckus. In that way, I can ensure that people who do not agree with me are silenced. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

No I'm just kidding of course. Some Conservatives (and some Liberals as well) might be comfortable denying that respect for others opinions and their right to express them is not an American value, but I'm not. I believe that to be an American is to appreciate that there are other people in this nation who are moral, hardworking, good citizens, and see things totally different than you do.

Of course I could be wrong.

No comments: