Thursday, June 07, 2007

Cal Thomas

Cal Thomas also feels compelled to write about the meeting earlier this week in which Edwards, Clinton, and Obama discussed their religious belief. Unusually, he doesn't feel the need to decry the three candidates as big fakers. Rather he takes the novel approach (for conservatives) of suggesting maybe religion shouldn't be a huge factor in presidential elections.
Most of this God-talk by politicians is irrelevant. We're not electing a theologian, but a president. There are many moral and godly people in my church who I would trust with my wife, but with possibly one exception, not the country. Competence, not ideology or religiosity, should be primary in this election.
I'm not sure what to make of this; frankly after years of claiming religion did matter and that Liberals didn't have it I'm not sure this change in strategy is going to fly. Still it's nice to see Thomas admitting the truth on this matter.

No comments: