Thursday, March 25, 2004

A Letter to the President

In response to a story earlier this week about Vice President Cheney's visit to the Rush Limbaugh Program, my Brother wrote a letter to the President (at the White House website), which he has graciously allowed me to reprint (which is nice because it allows me to take the afternoon off).

Well, since my comment did not fall directly into one of the categories available, I chose "taxes" because I am questioning the government's use of my tax money.

I noticed today that the White House's tax-funded website was used to display Rush Limbaugh's interview with the Vice President. To my knowledge (and I may be wrong in this) media sources which are governmentally sponsered are required to give equal time/space to opposing viewpoints as well. I'm simply wondering weather or not any space has been made available for opposing commentary.

My problem with this is the same problem I have with Rush in general. The general public wants something to trust in, and when they log on to the White House's website, or listen to Mr. Limbaugh, many tend to believe every word they see or hear. It's unfortunate, but many americans can hardly be bothered to do a bit of basic research to find out weather or not they've just been fed only a few selected words out of a larger, more revealing quote, or if the source that was just cited was even remotely reliable. By presenting only one rather distorted viewpoint you betray the most basic ethical standards of journalism. It may not be lying, but it's hardly telling the truth.

Mr. President, I have served in this country's military, and I respect the office you hold. If you want me to respect you as a person, please treat me, and all americans, with the respect we deserve. It just seems like lately one thing after another has piled up and made my government look shameful. Please just clear this up one way or another. Putting spin on things and covering mistakes up only makes the nation look worse when the truth eventually comes out.

I sincerely hope that you know what you are doing. I want to trust that democracy works and that our leaders, while not necessarily perfect, have the whole nation's best interest in mind. I want to believe that you are a good person, and will not sacrifice my well being in favor of corporate and political power. Please do not let me down.


Enjoy.

No comments: