Thursday, March 04, 2004

Lazy Parents + Evil Video Games = Negative Fun

That's not the title of Brent Bozell's latest, but it might as well be. Of course Bozell, being a conservative, doesn't put the responsibility in the hands of the parents but in the makers of evil video games. In conservative America, the only people who have to take responsibility for their actions are the poor.

Anyway back to the matter at hand; evil video games. Are some video games evil? Yes. A thousand times yes. OK, just three times (my hand is already cramping). Here's a whole article on evil video games (which benefits from having a good subject, because the writing is a bit confusing). I don't know if this is what Bozell is talking about; but these are bad games. There are also games like Grand Theft Auto and the like that glorify gangland behavior. And apparently the ratings don't tell the whole story. So what is the solution?

He doesn't propose one really. Oh he laments the rating system (as he should; it's pretty so so), but other than that he doesn't suggest a solution. Being the helpful guy I am, I do have a two-part solution. First part; look at reviews of the game. Both Gamespot and Gamespy feature reviews of video games, which will almost always give enough information to evaluate whether the game is suitable for your home. A new video game costs some $30-$60. Even without kids I follow reviews pretty closely to see if a game will be something I will like--other wise you are just throwing your money away.

Secondly, talk with your kids about games. Don't write off the gaming experience as something completely alien; particularly with your younger kids, make time to understand. I saw that as an unmarried person with no children, so I know what I'm talking about.

No comments: