Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Today's Musical Selection

Listening to a set of 80s albums today at work, and thought I would share the list.

The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
The Cure - The Head on the Door
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Organization
Love and Rockets - The Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven
The Human League - Dare!
Simple Minds - Once Upon a Time
Tears for Fears - The Hurting
The Smiths - Hatfull of Hollow

It's interesting - I'd say that about half these albums weren't really in my collection during the eighties. Some Great Reward, Organization, Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven and Dare were in my collection - and Hatful of Hollow, being a collection of Peel Sessions from the first two albums, may as well have been (and would have been if it hadn't been rare at the time.

On the other hand Once Upon a Time, the Hurting, The Head on the Door and Talk Talk Talk are all albums I've gotten since the 1980s. Tears for Fears and Simple Minds weren't really on my rader in the 1980s, although I was aware of the single. I had a few Cure tapes/records but wasn't that into them. And my first exposure to the Psychedelic Furs was with their awful album Midnight to Midnight, which I liked but didn't feel inclined to pursue. I got Mirror Moves and that got me a bit more into them, but it wasn't until 1992 or 3 that I got some of their better work.

No comments: