Thursday, April 20, 2006

Salon once more

I'm linking a lot to Salon today, I know, but I found this tidbit very exciting, concerning the possibility that Fox "News"-man Tony Snow might become the new White House press Secretary.
MSNBC's Keith Olbermann asked Wednesday whether naming Snow as the White House press secretary would be a concession that the Bush administration is interested in talking only "to that increasingly smaller group of people who believe that Fox News is the sole source of news in the world." It was a reasonable question: Is the Bush White House giving up on the middle in favor of the base, or whatever is left of it? Snow's response: "So the Olbermann theory is that all the talk about me is really an attempt to kiss up to Fox News -- by extension, I guess to Rupert [Murdoch]. I love this. We live in an age of conspiracy theories."
This is a good technique if you can successfully pull it off. You simply answer the question you want to answer rather than the one you are asked. Unfortuantely, if you do it with a lack of finesse (as Mr. Snow demonstrates) you end up looking a little delusional.

No comments: