Thursday, April 06, 2006

How to Succeed

Find out what other people want to hear and then say that.

See how simple life is? This is not, unfortunately, a skill I have mastered myself, but if you are a young person looking to make her way in the world, this is a technique I would advise developing.

You're probably thinking that with good arguments and solid discussion you can change people's minds. You might change a few, that's true. But most people who you disagree with will not be convinced and will resent you for disagreeing with them. They will find you, to use an old fashioned word, disagreeable.

On the other hand if you tell them what they want to hear, they will find you agreeable. You will find friends galore and your superiors will want to further your career. It is a sure road to a type of success.

It's not a path for me, but I have to think it must be a very pleasant road to be on.

No comments: