Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Buck Stops Somewhere South of Mexico

A Sorta Fairytale.



Suzanne Fields, who I picked on in the last post, deserves a second round for this later section of her article.
The Truman-Dewey comparison has its limits, but George W., like Harry Truman, acts as if he understands "the buck stops here." That understanding has shaped his foreign policy and, like Harry Truman, he stands stubbornly by his decisions as the nation faces a new and deadly menace.
Yep we all remember the dozens of times President Bush has acknowledged his responsibility for errors or problems in his presidency. We all remember this buck stopping statement. "I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't -- you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one."

If there is anything President Bush has been good at it, it's admitting his mistakes and taking responsibility for his errors. Or so all the denizens of the fantasyland Ms. fields lives in believe.

No comments: