Monday, October 18, 2004

We Live in a Nuanced World

Just driving around catching part of a radio program, where in the host commented that he didn't want a President who saw things in terms of nuance. I don't know what that means. We live in a nuanced world. People who want simple answers are being childish. There are few simple answers in life, certainly not in politics..

Now please don't write and explain to me that, as a Liberal, I probably don't have a moral code, probably don't believe in right and wrong, and use "nuance" as a means to justify my depraved lifestyle. First of all my lifestyle is only mildly depraved. Secondly, I do believe in right and wrong - believe in it passionately. I believe, for example, that it is wrong to put a tax cut, predominately for the wealthy, ahead of the safety of our troops as President Bush did, when he lowballed the cost of the Iraq war to protect his tax cut.

But even that simplistic issue has a nuance to it. I mean if President Bush's tax cut had worked, and the economy was roaring now; would that be an acceptable pay off? A strong economy would mean a stronger economy, and increase our ability to defend ourselves. So would that be a good pay off? It's at least discussable (although I think I still stand by my assessment above).

No comments: