Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Random Thoughts

I just feel random today.

I don't know which commercial I feel is more wrong-headed. The Old Navy one that suggests if I buy their clothes I'll totally wig out, or the Dairy Queen one that suggests that eating a sandwich they produce might lead to me inadvertantly setting my office on fire. I guess I'll give the Dairy Queen fire-breathing ad the nod, because at least the Old Navy insanity ad at least looks enjoyable. You know, up until you get carted off (but of course they always stop the commercials before that part).

Two seasons of the Apprentice. Two "crazy" black woman. You'd think they could find a strong, competent, black woman. Unless, of course, that's not really what they are looking for.

I don't mean to imply racism; all contestents on that type of reality show are selected, I would imagine, for their ability to be entertainingly dysfunctional; on the Apprentice they try to make them look at least credible for the first few minutes of the show. After that the sooner they wig out the better.

Incidently I made this plug last year, but I'll make it again. If you enjoy laughing, you should definately check out Miss Alli's reviews of the Apprentice. She's smart and she's funny. She should be on the show instead of some of the disfunctional people they have on now.

Susan LaTourette's husband, a Republican Congressman from Ohio, went to Washington, and left her for a staff member who has moved from his staff to a lobbying firm. She now lobbys the committee Rep. LaTourette sits on, but not him directly, so there are clearly no ethical problems. All of this has given Ms. Latourette a somewhat cynical view on what happens in Washington.
He [her husband] was a wonderful husband and father, the best I ever saw, until he went there. I told him I was trying to get him out of the dark side -- all that power and greed and people kissing up to them all the time. Now he's one of them. All they care about is getting reelected. I hate them all.

. . . Congressmen are gods. Senators are gods. And there are tons of aides and tons of lobbyists, and they kiss their butts and they love that. Power corrupts, and I think the longer you're there, the more corrupt you become.
That's life in the city. Thank goodness I live out here in Tallahassee. Nobody every kisses my butt, and that's a good thing. I guess.

No comments: