Thursday, October 28, 2004

2 Year Anniversary Spectacular - The Serious Side

My division of articles into serious and humorous was a bit arbitrary as you will see. But these are five posts I thought went particularly well. No runners up here.

5. July 27, 2004. This was my way of reviewing the Democratic Convention (of 2004) with Suzi Registered Voter and the Conservative Cat. They were both fun characters to write and I managed to slip in my normal commentary. I'm not sure the idea is as clever as I thought it was at the time, but it worked pretty well.

4. February 16, 2003. This was one of my reports on attending the Anti-War Rallies in town before the Iraq War. This article was also, in part, a reaction to many of the anti-protester articles I'd read, which classified protesters as idiots or anti American or anti-Soldier and so on. My take contrasted pretty sharply with that analysis.

3. August 16, 2004. Scenes from the war on Nuance.

2. May 22, 2004. This article could be a lot more despairing than it turns out to be--I'm surprised at how mild I sound. Basically this one covers one difference between Conservatives and Liberals, and discusses the creation of separate media organisms designed to serve each group. So basically one potential end for America. It's not to hard to imagine the divisions growing and growing until they tear us apart. But I remain hopeful that we will turn aside long before then. Perhaps that explains my mild tone.

1. February 20, 2004. Songs from the Struggle. A collection of rebel and leftist songs including tracks by Joan Baez, Gil Scott-Heron, Rage Against the Machine and so on. It's pretty cool, I think.

Anyway hope you have enjoyed. Check back tomorrow for a trip round the horn of the liberal coalition.

No comments: