Sunday, March 02, 2003

I Have Returned

You know what's great about being a liberal. You are held responsible for the actions of all other liberals. For example, as a Liberal, I'm responsible for some 20 year old doofus holding up a sign saying Death to Bush at a rally. It's all my fault for being a liberal. If I'm uncomfortable with being held responsible for other doofus's who use the liberal name perhaps, I should change my name. Oh wait, we tried that. And it only proved our cowardness.

So I guess if I want to be a liberal I'm shackled to the doofus views of the more extreme members of the liberal sect. (Hmmmm. I wonder if there are any Conservatives with extreme views.) I mean, look at this argument from David Limbaugh. "most conservatives would agree that a reasonable case can be made to oppose the war against Iraq, and by no means are all who oppose it guilty of the attitude and behavior Mona describes in her book. But a good number of them are, and they are of the same ideological blood as their Vietnam-protesting and Cold-War-denying predecessors, and have the same egg of culpability and shame on their faces."

This question lurks behind such statements as why are leftists willing to march alongside Stalinists? (How do you stop them, particularly if they already snapped up all the permits?)_ Why don't the protesters protest Saddam instead of Bush? (Well, Saddam doesn't have to worry about protestors influencing his electorate--seems like protests in the US would have no effect against him, and they would increase the possibility of war, something the protesters don't want.)

Anyway, it's nice to be back.

No comments: