Friday, March 21, 2003

Comments by Robert Byrd

But, today I weep for my country. I have watched the events of recent months with a heavy, heavy heart. No more is the image of America one of strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. The image of America has changed. Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our intentions are questioned.

Instead of reasoning with those with whom we disagree, we demand obedience or threaten recrimination. Instead of isolating Saddam Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves.


I have a lot of respect for Senator Byrd's conduct over the last couple of months. Unlike others, he has not presented a divided face to the American people, being for war one day and against it the next. Still, I hope he's wrong in his assessment here, and I think there is a chance he is. A quick American victory will get many of the nations who now oppose us back. A concerted effort rebuilding Iraq will show our good faith. While this strategy does have risks (risks which Senator Byrd and others have pointed out), now that it's been settled on, hopefully we can bring about success.

No comments: