Saturday, September 04, 2004

What do we Mean?

What does it mean to say that September 11th changed everything? I mean it's such a vague statement when you think about it. What could it mean? Well Kathleen Parker in her latest article (which covers Zell Miller's speech at the RNC) puts it in perspective.

The world changed on Sept. 11, 2001, and the old default modes no longer work. The old political templates and loyalties do not apply.

That understanding prompted Miller to abandon his Democratic Party to endorse President George W. Bush for re-election.
The world became more dangerous on September 11, 2004 and because of that increased danger we must vote for Republicans forever. The old loyalties no longer apply; if Democrats really loved their country they would abandon their party, and line up solidly behind whatever President Bush wants to do.

Of course this all assumes that President Bush knows what he's doing and his plans are solid. I don't blame Ms. Parker for thinking that; after all she is a conservative. I would expect her to support a conservative President. On the other hand, as a liberal, I'm not sure why I should be expected to give up my opinion that President Bush doesn't know what he's doing and the last four years have been a string of mistakes and errors.

But then again, maybe I just don't understand how September 11th changed everything.

No comments: