Monday, April 11, 2005

Poor Mike S. Adams

This poor guy. Every article he writes he reminds you of how hard it is to be a conservative in academia. I really feel for him. Or did. Until he foolishly wrote this weeks article on a suggested reading list for Anti-Communists. He prefaces it by reminding us all that the Commies are still around.
Today things are different. We know who the communists are and where they come from. Most of them teach at American universities. We work hard every day to pay the taxes which, in turn, pay their salaries. Meanwhile, they work hard to subvert everything we do, everything we value, and everything we love.
Of course, since Mr. Adams also teaches at a University (UNC - Wilmington), some of your money goes to pay him. And, looking over his suggested reading list, I'd say he'd be comfortable destroying the things I do and the things I value.

For starters, he puts Ann Coulter's Treason on the list.

I'll pause here so you can digest that. Whiny Conservative professor recommends Ann Coulter are a valuable source for understanding Communism. You might see why I have lost my sympathy and respect for this guy.

He suggests 10 books. Four of them are by Ayn Rand (We the Living, Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged), two by George Orwell (Animal Farm and 1984). For the record I like both Animal Farm and 1984. I've read Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead. Both of them reminded me that selfish people who have life pretty good enjoy reading books which tell them that they deserve a pretty good life and everybody who has a crappy life deserves to have a crappy life.

The other ones are The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayak, Witness by Whittaker Chambers, and The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn. Nothing too objectionable here, although I can recommend ten better more balanced books on the Red Scare than Witness. But, I suppose if you are going to recommend Ann Coulter, you aren't interested in a balanced look at the Red Scare.

No comments: