Tuesday, February 10, 2004

What I meant to Say Was

I haven't tracked the ongoing story of how poorly the President did on "Meet the Press" because so many others have. But David Brooks' latest deserves a bit of comment. In it Mr. Brooks admits what a poor performance the President gave by marking down how he would have done it.

He gets to September 11th in 20 words. "Tim, I know I'm repeating myself, but I am a war president. Do you remember how you felt on Sept. 12, 2001?"

Oh, wait a second, I meant September 12th. I felt pretty bad on September 11th myself, but maybe it took a little longer for it to sink in for Mr. Brooks.

But anyway that gives you the argument; if we don't vote for President Bush, if we don't support his policies in the war on Terror than we are not remembering September 11th. "I look around and observe that many of my fellow Americans don't seem to be living on Sept. 12, the way I am. And if they don't feel in their bones the presence of war, I don't know what argument I can use to persuade them.

I look on the Democratic side and see that primary voters last Tuesday ranked terrorism last on their issues of concern. I see John Kerry accusing me of stoking a "culture of fear." On the Republican side, I notice conservatives are panicked and peevish toward me over spending and immigration.
"

Of course this argument doesn't work so well if you believe that the Democratic Presidential Candidates will fight the War on Terror with the same passion and a bit more common sense.

No comments: