Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Spamalot

I went to see Spamalot last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will say though that you have to go in taking it as a different thing than the movie. The stage is a different medium and then you add musical comedy onto that and it's different. The musical requires a certain amount of, well, cheese. It's built into the art form. You just have to roll with it. But there are things in Spamalot that wouldn't have worked in the movie and would have, in fact, been antithetical to the movie. On the other hand there are things in the movie, like the ending, that would have been very inappropriate for the stage. So you kind of have to separate them out.

My brother felt that they were a bit overly reverential to the source material, cutting whole scenes out and doing them verbatim. I kind of see where he is coming from, but I was expecting that so it didn't bother me as much.

At any rate if you are in Vegas I would recommend it. And one thing above reproach was the seating arrangements. Wide spacious seats it was almost like being in a barcolounger.

No comments: