Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Wait a minute, maybe I was wrong.

I'm afraid I might have been wrong in my assessment of Mr. Bush and his inability to admit to a mistake.

"Q Thank you, Mr. President. In the last campaign, you were asked a question about the biggest mistake you'd made in your life, and you used to like to joke that it was trading Sammy Sosa. You've looked back before 9/11 for what mistakes might have been made. After 9/11, what would your biggest mistake be, would you say, and what lessons have you learned from it?

THE PRESIDENT: I wish you would have given me this written question ahead of time, so I could plan for it. (Laughter.) John, I'm sure historians will look back and say, gosh, he could have done it better this way, or that way. You know, I just -- I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hadn't yet.

. . . I hope I -- I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't -- you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one.


He should have just said "This Press conference, maybe." That would have gotton a big laugh. Oh well, I'm glad the President is confident that he is capable of making mistakes, even if he can't think of any examples.

No comments: