Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Interesting revelation in the President's Press Conference

President Bush gave a press conference tonight, as I'm sure you all know, and among other things, he said the following. "Secretary of State Powell and Secretary of State Rumsfeld and a number of NATO defense and foreign minister are exploring a more formal role for NATO, such as turning the Polish-led division into a NATO operation and giving NATO specific responsibilities for border control."

For those of you who do not know, Donald Rumsfeld is, in fact, the Secretary of Defense (unless something has changed that I don't know about. Traditionally the United States has had only one Secretary of State at a time.

Here's the link to MSNBC, although there is a good chance it will be scrubbed eventually.

But, you ask me, what does this mean? In reality not that much. He misspoke; he's done it before, he'll do it again, who cares? But it is gratifying to point out, inasmuch as I'm not enthusiastic about President Bush.

Edited to change Secretary of Defense to Secretary of State above--screwed it up the first time around. I also don't want to give the impression that I think this type of mistake is extremely important. It was something that struck me as amusing when I read it so I posted it. There are reasons why President Bush's misstatements are a bit galling to me, but I've covered that ground before, so won't run over it again now.

No comments: