Thursday, April 29, 2004

This Article has no Title

Well I went over to Townhall first off. I read Larry Elder's column where he takes Kerry to task for praising hip-hop and rap. Apparently a few bad apples do spoil the bunch, at least in Elder's mind. N.W.A., Sister Souljah, and Ice Cube pretty much negate all the rest of rap and hip-hop, and Kerry's a jerk for suggesting there might be something there.

I read Emmett Tyrrell's article on how John Francois Kerry (never can get enough of that French Bashing can you, right wingers?) is living in a fantasy world. Tyrrell also, inexplicably, suggests that the fact that this might be 1992 all over again would upset Democrats. I mean, if I remember correctly, President Clinton won in 1992. Wouldn't that be a good thing, from our point of view, if Senator Kerry were to win this year?

Well obviously after reading those tedious articles, I wanted refreshment. So I turned to John Kerrys' website. It's just a breath of fresh air. I turned to this speech, given on March 13, 2004 in Quincy, Illinois.

"But today, campaigns too often generate more heat than light – firing up partisans while leaving increasing numbers out in the cold. Candidates find it easier to exchange insults than to face issues. Commentators and pollsters tell us who’s up and who’s down. On television, talking heads talk and yell past one another. Six-second sound-bites on the evening news and thirty-second attack ads all day long dominate the airwaves.

Everyone in politics shares the blame. But I have come here today, because I believe this campaign should be different. President Bush and I can do better – and America deserves better. And so here, in Quincy, where long ago we saw the best of American politics, I am asking George Bush to agree to a series of monthly debates, stating this spring. This should be a campaign worthy of the great issues before us, a campaign that truly can give the election of America’s president back to America’s people.
"

Inspiring. I hope President Bush takes up the Gauntlet and really lets us see what he and Senator Kerry are made of.

No comments: