Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Calls at Dinnertime

This scene is repeated several times a week.

"Mmmmmmm this is good Peking Duck. Being an internet commentator sure has been my ticket to the easy life; I'll have to complement Jules on it later. What's that ringing noise? Is it the doomsday alarm? Oh No! Oh wait it's just the phone. [picks up the receiver] Hello?

"Hello Mister Mangled-Name?"

[realizing that anybody who mangles my name probably isn't my best friend] "Do I owe you any money?"

"Uh, no, we have a very exciting offer for you . . " [Phone Hangs Up]

Still the Supreme Court has apparently said that's ok. Not like it takes a lot of time to hang up, I suppose, and it does employ people. Mona Charen has an article on this today in which she contrasts the SCOTUS's position on this position with their position on Campaign Finance Reform, and finds both positions wanting.

Oh, and being an internet commentator has not made me fabulously wealthy; that part of my story was made up. Unfortunately, I do talk to myself.

No comments: