Thursday, September 18, 2003

Ann Coulter Names Names

Yes. Ann Coulter's book, accusing liberals of treason, was released on June 24, 2003. Now, 86 days after her book was published (according to Amazon, anyway), she is finally willing to name at least one liberal traitor. And that traitor is Arthur Ochs Sulzberg, publisher of the New York Times.

Exactly what treason is Mr. Sulzberg accused of? For daring to draw a link between the fall of Chile to Pinochet and the September 11th Attacks on our own country. Now, I'm no expert on Latin American history, but I have to say that Ms. Coulter's description of what happened in Chile doesn't square with many other accounts. One suspects that Pinochet's ruthless control over his country is, somehow, appealing to Ms. Coulter.

Oh, and Mr. Sulzberg's paper is guilty of noting that a lot of people have died since President Bush declared us victorious over Iraq.

You might wonder why Ms. Coulter has waited so long to name a traitor, despite numerous opportunities. She answers that, saying, "During my recent book tour, I resisted the persistent, illiterate request that I name traitors. With a great deal of charity – and suspension of disbelief – I was willing to concede that many liberals were merely fatuous idiots. (In addition, I was loathe to name names for fear that liberals would start jumping out of windows." Did you catch that? Ms. Coulter is kind hearted enough to believe that liberals are morons who would kill themselves if she called them traitors.

I have to say, if Ms. Coulter called me a traitor, I could probably take it.

No comments: