Monday, August 18, 2003

Rhapsody

The company that makes Real Radio has a new service called Rhapsody, which I enjoy, but which I wish they would work harder to put more obscurities on it. That was the difference between Napster (and it's iterations) and the Corporate Solution, which is Rhapsody. With Napster if even one person loved, say, Dream Academy's second album, the brilliantly dreamy "Remembrance Days," it showed up. With Rhapsody, the decision not to encode "Remembrance Days" is made by some guy wearing a tie.

Not that I'm against Rhapsody or guys with ties--both are great.

Anyway they have these mini reviews at the bottom of the screen. I'm listening to Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" and I read the review at the bottom, which I will quote verbatim.

"Everybody always talks about how Neil's first, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, is Hard Rock and After The Gold Rush is some kind coup because he plays acoustic guitar on it. Huh? It's Neil. He could be playing a toilet seat and it would rock --hard. It would rock harder than the hardest Hard Rock can rock hard. That's what this record does."

I don't know how you can be any more clear than that.

No comments: