Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Cleaning House

Yesterday I posted on Rhapsody, and compared it to Napster. It occured to me this morning that I might have given the wrong impression on Napster or on what is euphamistically called "File Sharing." I am against most of it. The sharing of rarities by fans of the band is ok in my mind. In 99% of the cases those songs aren't available by more legitimate means, so why shouldn't fans share them?

The problem comes when you download an album that is readily available. See everytime you plunk down your money on a record store counter, you are voting for the music that you like. If you like Bjorks blissfully bizarre soundscapes, and you buy her album, you are voting for her to be able to produce another album. Record companies are only going to put out albums that they consider commercially viable. Artists are only going into the studio if they think they can make money off their efforts (it turns out all those fancy nobs and buttons hooked up to the microphones cost a heck of a lot of money).

If you download the music you like, you are abstaining from voting. That might be fine for now--but when other people cast their votes and groups you love can't get back in the studio, well, don't come crying to me. Well, actually feel free to, what do I care?

No comments: