Monday, August 25, 2003

Judge Moore

Well Judge Moore has been suspended and apparently will no longer try to fight the mandated removal of the Ten Commandments.

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with David Limbaugh. I am not as comfortable with the monument as he is (for the reason that no such monument by any other religion would be allowed). But at the end of the day it's not that big a deal to me, and if Alabama feels they need that, than why not?

But my opinion doesn't factor into this the way the federal court's reasoning does. And they have made their position clear. "My allegiance to the rule of law leads me to believe that we cannot permit a state court judge -- no matter how righteous his cause -- to violate federal appellate court rulings. He should vigorously oppose the wrongheaded feds at every phase and exhaust all possible remedies, but once they are exhausted, he must obey. Our entire system of ordered liberty depends on the integrity of our legal system, which in turn depends on government officials, especially judges, obeying the law. Indeed, state judges also take an oath to uphold the federal constitution."

That's pretty clear.

Now Limbaugh does take the federal court to task for their ruling and for infringing on States Rights, but he acknowldeges that that is the way law works currently.


No comments: