Thursday, February 20, 2003

A Trend

I've noticed a trend in my writing the last little while. I tend to go to Townhall first. I'll be blunt. Conservatives are better writers. So the Townhall writers rarely fail to elicit a response from me. And recently it's been largely a negative response. Then I go to Commondreams later on in the day, the liberal site, and read through their articles and often find something I like.

I don't know if I am becoming more liberal, but I angrier at the conservatives right now. I believe that, based on the situation, both philosophies have something to offer. Hence I want to see Conservatism and Liberalism to both stick around. Many Conservatives don't feel this way. They want to see Liberalism eradicated from the political scene. Perhaps they truly believe that Liberalism is so bad that it must be eliminated "by any means necessary." But often their methods are an attempt to return us to the days of the Red Scare. More than one article has painted protestors or liberals as traitors, pro-terrorist, pro-Stalinist, etc.

I feel differently. Although I disagree with Liberals on some issues, I want them to stick around as part of the body politic. I want Conservatives to stick around. And Greens, Libertarians, Reforms, and so on and so forth. So that perhaps explains a little shift in my tone at this site. Hopefully after the activity in Iraq ends, this site can return to it's normal more centrist tone.

Anyway another good quote from Commondreams.org. Bill C. Davis, writing on the Irrelevant in the Living Room, states "What the Bush administration considers irrelevant is any organization or country that doesn't have a meaningful military. Their military - and it is the Bush administration’s military, not ours – has the power to back up ultimatums. Their logic seems to be, if you don’t have a meaningful military you’re not worth dealing with; if you do have a meaningful military, you will be dealt with – one way or another."

For those interested, Make me a Commentator!!!'s attempts to acquire a Abrams Tank (for peaceful purposes of course) have fallen through, so we remain largely irrelevant.

No comments: