Sunday, February 02, 2003

Shuttle Tragedy

Well, I haven't written in a couple of days. First of all I didn't have anything to write about, and then I had the Shuttle tragedy. I lived for several years on the Space Coast of Florida (the bit of Florida where most of the space industry is), and talking to friends who live there, it's going to be very tough for that area for a while. Because apparently in America when you fall off a horse, rather than get back on, you pawn the saddle.

Mankind is meant to be explorers and discoverers. For the 19th and 20th century America largely led the road to new scientific and technological innovation (with a number of other peoples, of course). If America turns away from the road of discovery, well eventually someone else will pick it up eventually.

I'm also familiar with the whole "Why don't we take that money and give it to schools" argument. That's nonsense. Nobody goes hungry because we invest in space travel. There are inventions and discoverys that we will find if we continue our investment.

Anyway i'll pick back up tomorrow--and I changed the quote at the top.

No comments: