Friday, February 07, 2003

On the War

It occurs to me that I have not articulated a very clear position on the upcoming war with Iraq. So I thought I would take a few moments and explain myself.

First of all, it seems that war is inevitable. I realized recently that this understanding has dictated much of my attitude. I haven't really examined the case for war, because the decision to invade Iraq has already been made. Rather than argueing whether or not this war was appropriate, I have contented myself with suggesting the proper way to prosecute the war.

If the war has to happen, it is best that we work through the United Nations. This will give our activities the semblance of international approval, and will render our assault less offensive to the Middle East (on who's good graces we rely to successfully prosecute the War on Terrorism.)

However this does not answer the question of whether or not War is justified. One of the most brilliant steps those who desire this war have taken is to make the arguement about why we shouldn't go to war rather than why we should. Instead of asking, "is this war necessary or justified," the question has become "what possible reason could you have for opposing the war?"

So lets list out a few facts.

1. Iraq has done nothing to us to justify our immediate invasion. They were not involved in September 11th, and that shouldn't be used to justify this war.

2. Iraq is probably seeking weapons of mass destruction. So is every other tin-pot dictator around the world.

3. In prosecuting this war, President Bush has carelessly squandered any moral credit the United States might have recieved for September 11th. This has the potential to jeapordize our ability to prosecute the war on terror.

While I will support my country if and when they settle on this course towards war, I still do not believe this war to be necessary. And wars are bad. They can go directions we don't expect. And probably will. So while I do support President Bush in his decision to work through the United Nations, I still question the necessity of this course of action.

No comments: