Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Deep Thoughts

I've been thinking about the latest edition of This Modern World. For those who haven't seen it, here it is.
 
I have to admit that I do fit some of the characteristics of a "sensible Liberal."  And, on the other hand, I've commented more than once on the dangers of being overly concilitary towards Liberals.  It's enough to realize that many conservative leaders don't want liberals to exist in America to realize that compromise is not always the wisest course of action. 
 
Tom Tomorrow is also correct when he notes that many liberals should just admit that the anti-war protesters were right and we were wrong. 
 
I disagree, however, with the idea that moderation in discourse is always wrongheaded.   The two examples he gives (discomfort with calling the President a Liar and liberal attacks on Fahrenheit 9/11) I can get behind.  Some of the attacks on Fahrenheit 9/11 have been misguided at best (while others have been dead on, such as those from the Daily Howler).  On the other hand, there are occasionally some outrageous things said by those on the left.  One has only to summon Ted Rall to one's mind.  Are we committed to never criticizing those on the left?  
 
One possibility is that we should have two parties; one for Moderate Liberals and one for People Further Left (boy is that an awkward phrase).   But, in reality, that's a pipe dream.  The truth is that for the foreseeable future, rightly or wrongly, we've got one party for the left and one for the right. 
 
I will reiterate a criticism I've had with this argument; it gives short shrift to the idea that a Moderate Liberal might actually disagree with the Person Further Left.  It's assumed that the Moderate argues from a Moderate position simply as a tactic, but that in reality his goals are essentially the same as the Person Further Left.  That may not always be the case. 

I'm reminded of an old Limbaugh bit where he made fun of Moderates by suggesting there woudl never be book called "great moderates in history."  Of course Limbaugh basically assumes anybody not a hardline Conservative is essentially a liberal.  Mr. Tomorrows last line seems to indicate that he feels that "Sensible" Liberals are more or less working for the Republicans. 
 
Anyway I can tell I'm having a hard time getting my point to come out organized, so I'll just cut it off here. 

No comments: