Saturday, July 10, 2004

Comic Book Round Up

I've written on comic books before but here a couple of recent purchases that I think are worth checking out.

Terra Obscura from America's Best Comics, is a little hard to describe. But take a bunch of golden age type heroes and place them in a modern world, albeit a world that was under the thumb of an alien race through most of the time they missed. This worlds "Batman," the Terror is now a completely electronic intelligence and has turned his city into a crime free police state. He has a ward, Tim, and their relationship might be the creepiest thing about this comic. It is at heart a sort of mystery, but in true Alan Moore style, it covers a lot of ground.

The Magnent. "I'm good at finding things . . . and when a man's partner's killed, he's supposed to do something about it.

Morgue attendent. "Isn't that a Humphrey Bogart line?

The Magnent. "So? It's still true."


Supreme Power from Marvel's Max line is a title I might have mentioned before. But I just got Issue 11 and it's revitalized my passion for this comic. Supreme Power is the retelling of the history of Squadron Supreme, a sort of alternate universe knock of DC's Justice League. As such they have a Superman named Hyperion, a Wonder Woman named Power Princess, and a Batman named Nighthawk. This is a very different Superman however. For one thing he's been raised by "parents" who are United States operatives working to ensure that he stays loyal to the United States of America (and completely and justifiably frightened of him). There's a chilling discussion held by a General in which he calmly discusses potential ways of killing Hyperion, over Hyperions crib. It's a dark story, but it also has a lot of humor and it works.

The Blur (to Hyperion): "You ever see one of those English Border Collies? Fast, strong, and smarter than any other dog on the planet. But you got to keep them busy, you get to give 'em homework and projects and goals.

I knew a guy had one, didn't keep it's mind occupied and over the summer it took apart his front porch with its bare teeth, board by board.

You don't give a dog like that something to do, a problem to solve, it goes crazy. And the last thing the world needs is somebody like you going crazy, you know what I'm saying?"


The Losers is from DC's Vertigo line. It's pretty testosteroni. It's about a CIA team sent into Afghanistan and betrayed by their leaders. In essence its a caper comic book, about guys who steal things from other guys. It's got great characters and great action. This one has the most distinct artwork (although the artwork in all these comic books is quite good). Strong characterization, but as mentioned above, full to the brim with masculine energy (if I can use such a new age cliche. But then again, who's going to stop me?)

Aisha (the only female character): "I was born in a desert place. War was my only mother. As a child, I moved through the battlefield and slit the throats of screaming Russian boys. I firebombed my first tank when I was twelve years old and machine-gunned the crew as the fled, burning.

And yet perhaps you expect me to be afraid of you? Tell me, what do you think?

Guy with Aisha's Knife against his ribs: "I think you have a very persuasive negotiating style."

No comments: