Tuesday, January 20, 2004

What Yesterday Means

Which would be a good name for an album, if anybody is paying attention.

I don't know who the final Democratic Nominee will be. Could be Clark, Could be Dean, Could be Kerry, Could be Edwards. And, while I do favor one of the candidates, I could live with any of those guys as the candidate.

But up until yesterday it seemed like we had a scenario fairly well set. Dean would clean up in Iowa and New Hampshire; get that early lead and hold it until the convention. As candidate, the press has already decided they don't like him, and he can't challenge President Bush on Foreign Policy. So in November we lose, and maybe lose big. That's the scenario a lot of the right wing has been pushing, and, sad to say, I bought into a little bit. And I should know better.

But Kerry and Edwards victory in Iowa upsets the balance a little. It reminds me, and possibly reminds us all, that the electoral process is not a smooth and easily foretold road. So whether or not either man goes on to the grand finale, at least this day they give me hope.

No comments: