Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Salon and Donald Trump

I really like Salon Magazine. It's not as great as it used to be; but we live in a time of lowered expectations and I have no doubt they are doing the best they can. What they usually have is pretty great writing, such as this article on Donald Trump and his latest television show, by Heather Havrilesky. The article includes a description of one of the contestents, who is waiting to see if he will be booted from the show.

"Sam is feeling desperate, so he sets about demonstrating the curious side effects of severe narcissism, trotting out his delusions of grandeur for the bemusement of the other two.

"I want to be the president of a Trump organization. I can't do it today. I can't do it today. You know what I'm doing right now? I'm like this," Sam says. He gets on his hands and knees as Troy and David cringe visibly. "Today I'm crawling. Tomorrow, I'm gonna be like this [halfway up]. Next week, I'm gonna be like this [standing]. And in a couple of weeks, I'm gonna stand up there, just like he does, and I'm gonna be promoted to the president of his organization."

While Sam is tragic and pathetic in his own way, his outburst mostly hints that he's at least a little sharper than the other two. This is television, after all, and anyone who's willing to embody gritty determination in a demented, melodramatic way is sure to stick around for a while. Most of all, Sam is signaling that he belongs in the club. After all, plenty of America's wealthiest businessmen are narcissists and delusional jackasses, and Sam may be exactly the flavor of freak show that makes it in this crazy, mixed-up world.
"

Anyway go check out Salon--even if you have to use the day pass commercial thingy.

No comments: